Frequently Asked Questions
What does having a community membership get me?
You will be kept informed of the on-goings of our community involving important matters such as land developments, business developments, and all updates pertaining to anything that affects us. In addition, having a healthy sustainable Community Association allows for the betterment of the community by grouping together as a gathered, united voice to liaise with all levels of Government and businesses alike, power is always in numbers.
Your membership also provides you an opportunity to meet new people, have a common interest. Free benefits such as participation of our organized Community Events.
Lastly, in the future, your membership will typically be a prerequisite to have your child play on registered community sport teams!
What is the difference between a community association and a resident’s association?
A community association is an organization formed by the residents of an area:
- to manage and direct its social and recreational activities
- to act as an intervener in civic matters (planning and development)
- to plan, develop and maintain community facilities and amenities
- membership is voluntary
A resident’s association is a compulsory organization created by a land developer:
- to manage and maintain the “marketing” amenities of a development that the City will not accept responsibility to maintain: entrance signage and ornamental parks
- to manage and maintain amenities such as a lake
- membership is compulsory and the requirement to pay an annual fee is collected by the association through a caveat on title
Walden does not have a residents association.
Can I join the Walden Community Association if I am not a resident of the area?
Yes, residents of surrounding area are most welcome to become a Community Association member, participate at our events open to all the residents of Walden as a card holder member. Non-resident members outside of our boundry areas as governed by our bylaws are not permitted to vote at the WCA’s Annual General Meeting.